57. The Lord is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.
58. I entreat your favor with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59. When I think on my ways,
I turn my feet to your testimonies;
60. I hasten and do not delay
to keep your commandments.
61. Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
I do not forget your law.
62. At midnight I rise to praise you,
because of your righteous rules.
63. I am a companion of all who fear you,
of those who keep your precepts.
64. The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love;
teach me your statutes!
57. “Food keeps me alive, therefore I promise to eat it.” God’s Word is more necessary to keep my spiritually alive than food is to keep my physically alive. There is no option but to treasure the Word of God.
58. All my soul should be devoted to seeking God’s favor – not in the sense of justification, but in the sense of ascribing glory to Him in the the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit. What a great promise it is that God will bring the work in me to completion! Nothing will snatch me out of His hand.
59. When I consider this life, I must be turned to God’s Word. There is no other guide sufficient to chart these treacherous waters of life.
60. A mark of someone who loves God’s Word is eagerness to obey. This is proof of a regenerated heart. Period.
61. No obstacles will eternally phase the righteous. No hardships will cause the justified to reject their Judge. Rather, trials will be a force to send them straight to God’s Word for whatever comfort and strength may be found there. And they will not be disappointed.
62. God’s Word is, when rightly viewed, the sufficient incentive to rise from sleep. Sleep, though sweet to every soul, cannot match the sweetness of God’s Word to those who cherish it. Do we love God’s Word enough to get up from sleep early to spend time in it’s folds, word after word drawing us deeper into it’s ocean of meaning?
63. Can I stand before God with a clean conscience concerning those with whom I spend much time? Are my companions helping me in my walk with the Lord? Companions are not just people. Whatever I spend time on and with is a companion. Am I influenced for God’s glory by my companions?
64. In this verse, “steadfast love” refers to God’s mercy. His goodness, kindness, and faithfulness are evident to eyes that see. The earth and our lives are full of these things. If we cannot see them, the problem is with our perception, not with reality. When we have trouble believing God’s goodness in the midst of hardship, we should pray for a heart to believe what we cannot see and eyes to see what we would not recognize on our own.
Life is to be lived thoughtfully, not carelessly. Time is fleeting. Make the most of each moment with the mind God gave you to ponder Him. Study His Word with your whole being, determined to do so till you have exhausted it’s meaning. By the way, this will keep you duly occupied for eternity. And what better preoccupation could there ever be than sitting at our Savior’s feet?